Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Down He Goes Again

I will admit I am not the most compassionate person when it comes to someone taking an uninjured tumble. I have mentioned this before, so I will not elaborate. However I cannot keep this to myself any longer. It has pained me for two days deciding whether or not I should mention yet another fall I witnessed. The victim is familiar but the circumstances are different, he was not drunk this time. As I mentioned in my prior post I was lucky enough to attend a family reunion at a rented beach house in Florida. It was beautiful and picturesque. The drive down was long and wrought with wrong turns and exhaustion, but we finally found our way there. During the course of the trip my wonderful partner Dalton seemed to be cursed. During the drive he somehow sprained a toe. I don't how people. He didn't stub it on anything. Nothing fell on it, it just started to hurt him and we discovered it was sprained. This was just the beginning. On the trip back he became car sick. He was nauseated and could not eat anything. He has always had a delicate stomach at times, it just seemed that after the toe incident he had suffered enough. In between these two incidents something else happened. Yes people he fell. On a dark moonlit night in a beautiful beach front house he and I decided to join my family on the sand to listen to music and talk. The back of the house was designed with a large second story porch with wooden stairs that led to the bridge to the beach. On our way down we talked about how much we were enjoying the trip. As I turned towards my gentle giant he missed the last wooden stair from the porch. Down he went again. He fell to his knees as if praying to God for mercy. His face reddened with embarrassment because although I was the only one to see it happen he knew by the end of the night everyone else would be informed. He rose limping on his sprained toe with his knees dusty from sand. His face expressed a longing for me not to tell. But alas he must know me by now. I decided to forgo my story to my family. All except for one. The one from whom I inherited this gene. My Aunt Velma. We both laughed. As my guy approached us on the porch my Aunt asked Dalton what happened to his knee, he looked down unaware that I had told. He stopped short of his explanation when he saw our faces. He mentioned that we should shut up and walked away. I will be shopping for a bubble for him to live in tomorrow.

2 comments:

JOEY said...

The gentle giant strikes again. Get him some ortho shoes and teach him how to walk!!!

DallasValentine said...

Sorry Dalton, you know I was not laughing at you. You know me, it could have been Mother Teresa and I would have laughed.