Tuesday, June 24, 2008

These Things

Last week I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Destin,Florida for a family reunion . It was a wonderful privilege to see my entire family present in one house. There was good weather, food, and a great deal of conversation. We all gathered to celebrate my grandparents fiftieth wedding anniversary. The wine poured free and the week was spent lying on the beach and catching up with everyone. The journey although tedious was well worth it. Everything was as it was before I left for Chicago. My uncles and aunt offered their many opinions and jokes on family matters. My mother, the mother hen of the group, took care of everyone. My sister and I traded witty banter, or at least it was witty on my side. I caught up with my brother and forgot how much I missed him. My grandparents remained close to the house soaking in the love and marveling at the accomplishment they had produced, keeping the family intact. On the trip back I stopped at a book store to find a way to pass the time during the long drive home. In between my turns at the wheel I read an incredible heart wrenching biography of a Holocaust survivor. His family had been torn apart and murdered, like countless other families during this dark period. As we all know, or at least should know by now the tragic unthinkable loss of these families and generations of people is unimaginable. There are countless lessons to be learned from such stories of horror and family. The lesson I learned is one that I shall never forget. At times I must admit I take my family for granted. I do not call them as often as I should. I let important days in their lives go by without even an email. I regrettably do not visit as often as I should. My reasons are selfish and self pitying. I think if I do not call them I won't miss them. The fact is I will always miss them, but I am lucky enough to still have them available to me, alive and living life. I am lucky to still be able to share a silly joke with my sister, or hear my mother's voice at the end of a phone receiver. I am fortunate that I have an aunt who still pushes me to move back to Dallas. I have the privilege of watching my niece grow up and see what an amazing father my little brother as turned out to be. These things I will no longer take for granted. these things are what makes me who I am. These things are the blessings and gifts my God has given me. These things are why I live.

2 comments:

DallasValentine said...

You need to read the book "The Glass Castle".

DallasValentine said...

It's not as dark as Blackbird but just as good and if she could become successful from the background she came from then there is no excuse for anybody else. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.